5.8.16

Today, I Thought Of You


***
Today I thought of you.

Just like that, without warning.
I never meant to.
Even I was surprised how easily you broke into my mind.
I was at peace with where we are now.
Or what we are now.
Or where I am now and 
not knowing what's going on with you lately.

But I thought of you.
Crossing my mind like it's the most natural thing.
I thought about the questions I still had.
How they will never be answered.
And why I never asked them.
Or if I should have asked them.

I was reading about fate.
Or was it about destiny?
Of sparks.
Of connections.
Of two people bound to be together.
I wonder if our story has an epilogue.
The part where it says,
"Oh, and these two met again to talk about what happened."
It's not even that we'd fall in love.
Just that we'd acknowledge the feeling.

My thoughts led me to a made-up moment.
A slice of time that we can forget.
We'd be sitting face-to-face.
I'd ask you just one question:
"Did you feel it?"
You'd say yes.
I'd continue with, "What was that?"
You'd shrug your shoulders.

The end.

I honestly would have been satisfied with just that.

There were so many chances to bring it up.
Like when you bought me that gift that you said reminded you of me.
Or when you gave me that jacket because I said I liked it.
Or when you said it wasn't the same without me.
Or when you said you'll miss me.
All those times I could have asked why.
All those chances I could have seen you reply with a shrug.

***




No comments: