14.5.14

Just Me. Just Be.

I spend way too much time on social networks--like the typical society's problem that I am. I refresh Twitter every second to get updates on my K-pop group (yes, I'm still into them), and scroll down indefinitely on my Facebook timeline to see if anything relevant happened for the past hour. And something does, 99% of the time. Problem is, it's relevant to other people, not to me. And I figured, Facebook and Twitter have somehow given the illusion that whatever happens in my timeline, involves me.

It took me a long time to realize that while facing my phone/laptop/desktop computer, I've had my back turned on the actual, more exciting event: my life. I check FB and see all these good parties my friends have been too, the goals they have achieved, the epiphanies they had from a photo quote on instagram. And these compel me to look for something to post, too. I never really thought about the reason behind the need to update, or to tweet, or to take a selfie. But since today I decided to talk to myself (lol), I figured, it's all just because I wanted to convince everyone, including myself, that something great is happening to me, too.

But why?

No good reason. And it's not like people really care. They will, but only for that fraction of a second that they clicked the like button. And if they actually make the effort to post a comment, then it's more than like. They probably already love you. Lol. I make fun of this, but it doesn't blur the fact that emotional attachments and interactions have been reduced to this, sadly.

Anyway, I made the decision to update only when it's reaaaaally something interesting or funny that I would like to share. Like my travel blog entries. Lol. But yes, something like that. Other stuff that I would post for reasons other than the one mentioned (i.e., to feed my insecurities and assure self-worth), I would avoid.  I say "avoid" here because I am human, and when Facebook asks what's on my mind, the temptation to answer could be overwhelming.

But the bottomline is, if I wanted to prove myself, I would just...be.

Be the person I make others believe I am. And--as one of my friends posted--let my success speak for me. That way, I get long-term contentment. And that's something a million "favorites" or "likes" can't provide.


No comments: