11.7.17

Strangers



When you regret your decision but you're no longer qualified for a second chance.... 

***
I was minding my stride 
when the wind made me turn, 
and I saw you there, 
looking just as perfect as you had 
when I was the one holding your hand.

A smile slowly tugged on my lips, 
and for a second I was willing
to mend the string I've cut heartlessly. 
For a moment, I wanted to rely on a maybe. 
Maybe...you still wanted me?

But my hopes quickly ran empty
as your gaze went right through me. 
Colorless and without emotion, 
as if I was just part of the crowd; 
as if I was less than a "used to be"; 
as if I was someone who never was anyone to you.

I felt a smile slowly tug on my lips. 
For a second I was trying 
to ignore the sting on my chest. 
Because I had no right to fall apart 
when I chose to run
from the only thing that held me together.

Your inattention made it easy 
to walk past you without a greeting. 
Minding my stride 
while you disappear at the corner, 
like the strangers that we are.

***

No comments: