3.10.14

[VIDEO] Something Like John Mayer (Parody)



I think I have made it clear to everyone that I'm a huge John Mayer fan. Seriously. You have NO IDEA. The man just has a way of writing his songs so that when you hear the lyrics, you'll go, "ah, it couldn't have been said better." Sometimes he just tells it like it is and still I feel like he's singing about me. Haha

Just a few lines I love from his songs:
 "....a thirst I'll have to drown first to ever satiate" - Something's Missing 
"....at 68, you re-negotiate...I tried my hand. John honestly, we'll never stop this train." - Stop This Train
"....fear is a friend who's misunderstood." - Heart of Life 
"....I want you so bad I'll go back on the things I believe...I'm scared you'll forget about me" - Edge of Desire (you just really need to listen to the whole song to feel the strength of desire John's singing about)
"Drop his name, push it in and twist the knife again. Watch my face as I pretend to feel no pain." - Heartbreak Warfare
"How come the only way to know how high you get me, is to see how far I fall?" - Heartbreak Warfare
"Power is made by power being taken." - Vultures
"Don't believe me when I say I've got it down." - Why Georgia
"We're slow dancing in a burning room." - Slow Dancing In A Burning Room (lol)
"I'm so good at forgetting. And I quit every game I play." - Back To You 
"They love to tell you, 'stay inside the lines.' But something's better on the other side." - No Such Thing
"But I'll gladly go down into flames if a flame's what it takes to remember my name." - Bigger Than My Body
"Twice as much ain't twice as good, and can't sustain what one-half could. It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees." - Gravity
Okay so maybe that was more than "a few." Lol.  Though honestly the lines have more impact if sang with the entire song. I just want to show how JM's songs are like stories being told, feelings that were felt, all written in figures of speech that fit well with the emotion.

So I've always had this fantasy of me being called out by JM to sing onstage with him (and maybe with Adam Levine, too, if he's also in the area) in one of his concerts. But when he finally came to Manila I was only able to afford a Silver ticket, which was no different from me just watching him on IMAX or something. It didn't help that it rained that day, so I was very lucky to witness everyone opening their umbrellas in front me, blocking what little I could see of the stage. I had a very slim chance of him singling me out from the crowd. Besides, there was also this tiny problem that I don't exaclty know how to play any of his songs on guitar. He's too talented to write songs using the 7 chords that I know. Ugh, what a show-off.

BUT I finally found 3 John Mayer songs that have simple chords that a musically-challenged peasant like me can actually play (YEHEY!): XO, Crossroads and Something Like Olivia. The first 2 were just remakes so that explains the absence of complicated riffs. And then there's Something Like Olivia.

Whether John was being symbolic or was just really smitten by a girl named Olivia, who knows. But I wanted to relate to the song, so I rigged a few lines to make it my own song for JM himself. Boom. Stroke of genius.

Which brings us to the point of this whole homage--my video. Wait, I meant videoS. Two (2). Because I did Crossroads, too, in case John Mayer reads this and judges my effort based on the number of covered songs. LOL. #DELUSIONAL


No comments: