29.1.16

In-Betweens (An Original Song)



So. I've been following Philpop (@philpopmusic) and Mr. Ryan Cayabyab (@ryancayabyab) on Twitter to get some inspiration on songwriting from time to time. And then I saw them post about Philpop's call for entries for it's 2016 run. I pondered on it for a long time, because let's face it, my so-called songs are only suited for my own ears (lol) and are not really commercial material...more so, fitting for the pop genre. 

But then I figured, what the heck, it won't hurt to try. If you can recall my post about my past Friendster blog, I regretted the fact that I let go of the chance to send an application to the Amazing Race Asia (even though the chance of making it was slim). Now history is repeating itself and I have no intention of adding another item on my list of regrets.

So, I forced myself to write an English song right on the 1st day of the year. I didn't post it here yet because that would forfeit the entry as per Philpop's rules. But I realized later on that Philpop is an OPM competition, so I might as well write a Filipino song...which was a welcomed challenge for me since I'm used to writing in English (and speaking in Bisaya). Thus, I wrote 2 more songs -- my 3rd and 4th Tagalog ones -- last January 8 and 28, respectively. I even tried my hand in music arranging for the 1st entry, combining guitar and keyboards, and it ended up sounding messy. Welp, whatever, I still sent it. LOL. For the 2nd entry, because I have a steep learning curve, I ditched the keyboard and just stuck with my guitar. Lelz.

I'm not very confident about my entries -- if at all. I'm pitting my meager work against people who have been making music since they learned to walk, mostly from the talented younger generation who could play instruments (and I mean, really play) and arrange music like it's the most natural thing to do. Mind you, these are people who have a complete home recording studio -- condenser microphones and all. I, on the other hand, used my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a voice recording application from Google Play, and the ever reliable (and free) Audacity. So, that said, I think I have a pretty good chance at winning. LOL!

Anyway, I'm joining for my songwriting skill(??), not for my singing talent(??!?!). Like I said on my "About" page, I just sing because no one else would sing my songs. I mean, why would anyone, right? Hahaha! Yeah, but just so we're clear...I write because I want to, I sing because I have to. :P I don't really expect to win though. Basically I'm just trying to see if anyone else (besides myself) thinks my "songs" are worth his time. 

So this was my first attempt written January 1, which I didn't submit. I'll post my 2 actual entries later when the competition is over because yes, I still want to believe I have even the smallest chance at making it in the Top 1000, at least. So I'm not risking any technical violations. Bwahaha.

This song is about short-lived relationships that actually feel truer than most long-term relationships combined. That guy who was your "one that got away," and that one love affair that marked you but regretfully had to end because of unavoidable circumstances.

P.S. I'm still contemplating on whether to post my video here or not so until then...

***
Oh, how love sparks feelings of regret
When it's a mistake on the onset
A present for the wrong recipient
Were we really meant to have met?

A case of should I stay or should I go
When ambitions come to separate our roads
Only momentary happiness
A trivial part of our existence

A whirlwind romance
A spiteful game of chance
But so far the realest I've experienced

At the end of the day my heart goes out to you
You're still the one it goes home to
How ever I conceal the truth
It knows, it knows...
A special kind of memory
My mind wanders off easily
And though I am unwilling
Still it grows, it grows...

All this time we try to navigate
Mapping roads to find a soulmate
But in-betweens are still a part of fate
The markers that remind you of the choices that you made

A whirlwind romance
A spiteful game of chance
But so far the best time that we've ever had

Oh
Inspite of myself
I feel my heart beat...
Heart beating for you
Despite the goodbyes
I still keep building
Could-have beens with you 

No comments: