12.11.15

Life Is A Pinball Game


"Life is a pinball game. There is no real target, only random hits to collect points from. What you can control, is how much push you give to keep the ball going." 


Just something I thought of (and tweeted) randomly today. I don't know why. Random nga diba. I'm not sure if everyone agrees. But really, yes...we all have our own plans -- our own goals. But some of those change. You may not want something (or someone) as much as you did before. Or conversely, something (or someone) may have more importance for you now compared to a few years back. Point is, life throws us around from time to time, and often, we are forced to get off the track that we set for ourselves to follow. This could sometimes be a welcome surprise, but it could also be very frustrating. But truth is, we are not in control of the direction of our lives. There will be those who are able to overcome challenges and stay on track, and there will be those who are blown by the wind and carried elsewhere. But it all depends on His plans. What we are in control of, is choosing between sulking in self-pity, or being flexible and remaining optimistic.

I'm sure you've all played a pinball game (otherwise, kindly Google). At the start, the ball will have to be pushed with the flippers, so the player will have to flip them as hard as he can, to give the ball enough momentum. This increases the chance of hitting more targets and gaining more points. Oh how it mirrors life. Lol. But isn't it true? That the more you wake up choosing to be happy -- the more you give a push on life -- the more opportunities you see and will most likely get?  Even if you eventually fall to the drain despite pushing hard, you at least earned more points. Right? So to simplify:

Pinball = life
Flippers = the positive perspective you give
Points = quality of life

Consequently, the weaker push on the flippers -- more gloomy your outlook is and if you approach each day apprehensively -- the less you are aware of the possibilities around you. 

You know, my dear readers, I have seen many things and have lived long enough (lol, I'm speaking like I'm 100 years old) to learn and accept that there are things I can't control. There are things I can't change...BUT (!) I can change my own perspective. I can choose to let myself be affected -- to hold on to my disappointments and find someone to blame for the mishap, OR I can choose to find another way to get what I want (or at the very least, find a replacement). And I think realizing this is the key to a less stressful life, and a way to be able to focus more on the blessings that we have. 

I'll leave you with something I've learned from Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson: You can't change other people, you can only change yourself (though it's NOT to say you'll change yourself for other people. NO. There's a difference. A big difference). I hope you got what I meant because this entry is getting longer when all I really intended was just to post the thought I had earlier about life and pinball. Lol.

So there. CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY. Despite the challenges...despite the potential failures and side-tracks, just push the ball as hard as you can, and I hope you earn lots of points. :)

No comments: